There is so much confusion circulating in the printed and broadcast media today that it’s very hard for average folks to sort out what’s really true. The theory of evolution is promoted widely as if it is scientifically acceptable because many academic scientists believe it, but is that sufficient to make it stand as really TRUE? When I’m talking about evolution here, let’s not mistake it for anything else but what it is: pure naturalism. As one evolutionist made it very clear, “we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.”
What is science?
The Oxford Dictionary defines science as “a branch of study…concerned either with a body of demonstrated truths or with observed facts systematically classified…under general laws, and which includes trustworthy methods for the discovery of new truth within its own domain.”
G.G. Simpson, a leading evolutionist, said:
“It is inherent in any definition of science that statements that cannot be checked by observation are not really about anything…or at the very least, they are not science.”
TRUE Empirical SCIENCE IS
Observation is absolutely essential for the practice of what we call empirical ‘Science.’ And there are many things outside of that sphere like history and angels and prayer and God Himself. If you include ‘forensic’ or historical science in the discussion then you are dealing with theories of past events that cannot be witnessed again and which depend on the confidence we can have in the words of the informant.
Does science contradict the Bible?
Some feel that God’s Word and His world could conflict. Keep in mind that the Bible makes no apology about the supernatural origin and operation of the natural world. The straightforward narrative of creation in Genesis was approved by Jesus Christ and by the apostles who wrote the New Testament. We must be careful with what we accept as science. True science will not contradict the clear teachings of the Bible, but miracles described as actual events, by their very nature, are understood to bypass the limits of what science is typically able to observe.
Despite all the work that has been done in all the science disciplines, there are major enduring problems. What is electricity? What is light? What is gravity? Why do these phenomena behave so consistently? Some features of these things are known but not the basic “why” behind them.
CAUTIONS FOR SCIENCE
- There are many special disciplines (niches) of science. Being an authority in more than one realm is impossible for most men. So, many scientists are unaware of the assumptions in other areas outside of their specialty.
- Scientists are real people; they are inclined to have the same human weaknesses and biases as non-scientists. They are just as prone to sin, denial, deception and bad attitudes toward God.
- Scientists who wish to be credible must be cautious not to make broad declarations on issues of religion or human spiritual matters in the name of science.
- When scientists do say things about origins, supernatural powers and spiritual things, you should be careful to examine and challenge them. Ask for their basic assumptions about God and origins. Theories are not facts!
What is a theory?
The average person may suppose a theory is like a hunch or a guess, but scientists regard theories as accepted principles or concepts that stimulate research to explain natural phenomenon.
Have scientists been proven wrong?
False ideas have commonly been promoted by scientists of the past only to be discarded by their descendants. You can probably think of many examples like:
- The geocentric theory of astronomy
- The idea that bloodletting is appropriate medical procedure for reducing fever
- Embryonic recapitulation (the theory that human embryos develop by evolutionary stages of animal ancestry)
- Phlogiston was believed by 17th and 18th century scientists to be the magical ingredient of all combustible things that enabled them to burn. French chemist, Lavoisier, showed that oxygen was the key for fire (rapid oxidation) to burn.
Is evolution scientific?
No matter how you look at it, the theory of evolution must trace back to a point where inanimate matter became a living creature. Look at the foundation of this theory.
- UNKNOWN CHEMICALS in the primordial past…through…
- UNKNOWN PROCESSES that no longer exist…produced…
- UNKNOWN LIFE FORMS that are not to be found…but could, through
- UNKNOWN REPRODUCTION METHODSspawn new life…in an…
- UNKNOWN OCEANIC SOUP COMPLEX…at an…
- UNKNOWN TIME and PLACE.
Is it any wonder why many scientists insist that evolution does not even constitute a bona fide scientific theory!
THE BIG QUESTION
Bible-believing Christians are often mocked by those who say:
“Prove your eternal God created all this!”
But what’s the alternative?
Why not ask the scorner:
“Prove to me that atoms are eternal! If God is not the Creator, how did the atoms get there?”
MYSTERIES OF EVOLUTION?
For any creation or upward development there are basically three things that are absolutely essential:
- A PROGRAM to direct the growth.
- A MECHANISM to energize the growth.
- A PROTECTION SYSTEM to sustain the growth.
Does change equal evolution?
Everyone who cares to study it can see that physiological changes sometime occur in living systems. Some call this “micro-evolution.” We must acknowledge that the amount of change is always limited within fixed “kinds.” The commonly held belief in evolution can be more specifically called “macro-evolution.” It requires more than minuscule mutations to produce all the different living kinds. Indeed, TRANSMUTATION is the order of the philosophy, and that is the word that was used in the early 19th century before the word evolution became acceptable.
[There is much more to know as you prepare to discuss this important subject of origins. Get the highly informative and colorful book: Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation: the Explorers Guide to the Awesome Works of God. It’s loaded with excellent information and thought provoking observations that build a confident reliance on the accuracy of Scripture and caution for approaching the popular academic treatment of origins.]
Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation, The Explorers Guide to the Awesome Works of God
(Revised and Expanded), by Dennis Petersen
The popular family Creation classic has been vastly enlarged and upgraded for the new century. Page after fascinating page colorfully unfolds before your eyes as you tour creation with the insight of the Bible as your guide. Expose and dismantle evolutionary deceptions that have distorted our generation’s view of the seen world. The skepticism and unbelief, sown by those who disregard the divine authorship of the Bible, are refreshingly overturned through this God-honoring “mini-encyclopedia” of the Creator’s insight.
By “considering the work of His hands,” parents and children encounter a vast wealth of evidences that confirm a confident faith in the Genesis account of creation. Every student in every school will be challenged to THINK! as he is guided by these insightful and lavishly illustrated chapters to “reason together” with God’s Word. Evolutionary myths are exposed and a rich Biblical foundation is laid as you explore mountains, planets, fossils, strange animals, dinosaurs, and the astonishing world of ancient civilizations. This book has been used as a basic curriculum by thousands of Christian home-school families.
“When God was taken out of science and history studies, those subjects became boring for many students. This book puts God’s power and awesome orchestration into the equation and suddenly science and history come alive!”
 Simpson, George Gaylord, Science (1964) 143:769